Feb 16, 2010

My First Tea Party Event

Does the government fear us? Or do we fear the government? When the people fear the government, tyranny has found victory. The federal government is our servant, not our master! --Thomas Jefferson

I thought of this quote by Thomas Jefferson tonight after I attended my first Blair County Tea Party meeting at the Altoona Ramada Inn. As I walked into the event I was surprised to see that the large conference room at the Ramada was packed with people on a cold, winter night with snow flurries . All the seats were taken and I stood in the back of the room with numerous others who were standing throughout the meeting.

The last time I was in the same room was on election night in 2006 when the Blair County GOP Committee held an event there. Needless to say there were more people in attendance at tonight's event.

My friend Phil Waite, a Social Studies teacher at nearby Spring Cove School District, presented a PowerPoint presentation called "The US Presidency: Its Constitutional Role". Then there was a brief period of discussion and questions afterward.

As a person with a background in political science, I was struck by the thirst for knowledge of those in attendance. All of them yearning to rediscover the principles that our great nation was founded on. There was a lot of talk about the Constitution, the intent of articles in the Constitution, and the mentioning of quotes from founding fathers like Jefferson and Hamilton.

I actually had a retired engineer a democrat came up to me after the event and ask me what is the real difference between democracy and a representative republic. I was struck by the question but I answered his question. He was a great guy and we had a 10 minute conversation on the topic.

I must admit that the Tea Party movement is being unfairly characterized as a strictly "conservative" movement. I think the Tea Party movement is more of a "Great Awakening"of sorts. Those involved in the movement know that it is really about everyday people rediscovering our Constitution, our responsibilities as The People to protect the Constitution, and our responsibility to hold our elected leaders accountable when they don't follow the Constitution.

The Tea Party is saying to the incumbents in Washington D.C. that we The People are not afraid of the government anymore. They are saying that the "silent majority" is silent going to be silent no more. I know this is very scary for people like U.S Senator Arlen Specter.

I was actually surprised by the number of democrats that I met at the meeting. The event was very non political. There was no talk of campaigns or political parties. The meeting wasn't a rally it was a forum where people can voice their concerns and share their ideas.

It did seem funny that no one from State Rep. Rick Geist, State Rep. Jerry Stern, State Senator John Eichelberger, or U.S Rep. Bill Shuster's office was in attendance tonight. Although I did see Blair County Commissioner, Diane Meling in attendance. Mega Kudos to her!

I personally would encourage anyone no matter what your political party affiliation is to attend a local Tea Party event. I think you will be surprised what the movement really is about. Oh and no one at the event mentioned Sarah Palin for President in 2010. Thank God :)

1 comment:

  1. Should have come up and introduced yourself.... with so many people there I never get a chance to meet but a few... I had to dart after the meeting - I brought a first timer and he was getting a little tired (though he did like it). Glad to have you along.

    ReplyDelete