Apr 21, 2020

Coronavirus Has Changed My Life

As a Distribution Supervisor of one of North America's largest auto suppliers, I had a front row seat as the Coronavirus crisis began to cripple American industry and bring it to its knees. I witnessed something that I thought never in my life would happen. One by one America's big three automakers began to shutdown their plants.

It began around 9AM on the morning of March 19th. We started receiving a flurry of calls and emails. One by one the four F150 Ford plants my company supplies began to shutdown. Each call directing me to cancel all current and future shipments until further notice. At around 1PM, Chrysler and General Motors followed suit.

A sense of uncertainty began to grip all of us. Truck drivers we turned away were in a general state of confusion. Their companies began calling me to see if I could help get the driver loads out of the state.

As I walked out of the factory that day to go home, I could not stop the overall feeling of shock and sadness that overwhelmed me. I thought to myself, OMG I just watch the titans American industry just die in front of my eyes.

I began to think of all the auto workers and their families. The families of those who work at the nation’s automotive suppliers and how they will be impacted. I was gripped by the sadness of what I just witnessed.

Looking back now that day was surreal. A day I will never forget.

Like many Pennsylvanians this Coronavirus outbreak has flipped my life upside down. It has forced all of us to evaluate what is really important in our lives. As our work and professional lives have been placed on hold or paused, many of us have discovered just how truly blessed we really are.

Coronavirus has forced us to focus on family. It has given us all a greater appreciation of our neighbors. A heightened awareness of just how important our overall health and well-being really is. Although we are all practicing social distancing and confined to our homes, I cannot help feeling even more connected and more focused on my life.

We all know what we lost.  We all know what is at stake moving forward. What does that look like? I feel confident that we will all figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment