Jan 13, 2010

'Take This Job And Shove It': State House Speaker McCall Resigns

I have to say I had an OMG moment yesterday when I hurd that Pennsylvania House Speaker Keith McCall (D-Carbon County) resigned yesterday. I am sure it came as a surprise to everyone. McCall calls it quits after 28 years of service. In a statement McCall said that his decision will allow him to spend more time with his family.

"As much as I care for the institution of the House, I love my family, and it’s long overdue that I put them first. After 2010 is over I know I will miss the House and the wonderful members and staff with whom I’ve been blessed to serve, but, I know in my heart that I am doing the right thing for myself and my family." (Source: AP PennLive.Com)


McCall's tenure as Speaker has been filled with controversy to say the least. The 'Bonusgate' investigation has plagued the House Democratic Caucus making it very difficult to get much of anything done legislatively speaking. Just look at last's years budget and how the House has struggled to pass table games legislation.

McCall plans to remain Speaker while he serves out the remainder of his term which ends on December 31st of this year. I have to give credit to McCall for saying enough is enough. This is not the same good ol' boys club anymore is it Mr. McCall.


Articles: Pennsylvania House Speaker Keith McCall plans to retire at end of this term (PennLive.com)

Pa. House Speaker Keith McCall won't run again (Philadelphia Inquirer)


Constituents shocked by McCall's announcement (Morning Call)

No comments:

Post a Comment