Jun 18, 2011

Bachmann vs. Palin

For the record, I am not a big fan of either Rep Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin. I think both lack the experience and leadership qualities needed to be the President of the United States let alone the leader of the free world. But according to my Tea Party friends, they seem to be the two favorites amongst Tea Party supporters so here are my thoughts on Bachmann and Palin.

Palin's a great "cheerleader" with tons of charisma and the heart of a true patriot. She can deliver a "prepared" speech almost better than anyone, but ... if she's the Republican nominee, we'll all spend the election season "holding our breath", hoping she doesn't put her foot in her month when not speaking from prepared notes. She will not hold up in a debate against Obama or the biased media. However, she'd make a great member of the cabinet. I believe the best place for her would be as head of the RNC.

As a speaker/debater, Bachmann is much more adept than Palin when speaking extemporaneously. Though I may find a few (and that's very few) issues on which I disagree with her, she is consistently on the mark 95% of the time. She, DeMint, and Steve King are the three most willing politicians to challenge moderates and RINO's in the Congress.

Although both have good qualities and positions I support, their negatives are too overwhelming to sustain a real challenge to Obama. It is about time that the Republican Party leaders and Tea Party members get serious about the Presidential race. The GOP needs to understand that Romney isn't going to cut it and Tea Party leaders need to realize they are wasting their time upporting candidates like Bachmann or Palin who have no shot of winning at this point.

I just watched Newt Gingrich's speech at the recent Republican Leadership Conference. I am more likely to support Newt at this point over Palin and Bachman. Newt's message on the economy and taxes is dead on. Newt has the depth and real policy experience to really challenge Obama on his economic policies which will be the main issue in the Presidential race.

3 comments:

  1. Very good insight and on the money. The biggest issue with Newt has plagued we Constitutional conservatives several times in past elections. I refer to it as the "Their Time Good Ol' Boys Club.
    Previous members include: Bob Dole and John McCain.
    Mr. Gingrich presents as poor a public moral image as Ms. Palin does at an unprepared encounter.

    I cannot be sure who may emerge but, one thing is certain. We will again have the choice of the lesser two evils. In my book that will be anyone other than the current President.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kolbold. I know that Newt's record in the past on the moral front is a little too controversial for social conservatives, but his economic message is lethal and will make Obama look silly in a head to head debate showdown. That is something Palin and Bachmann couldn't pull off in a debate. That is why if it comes down to it I would pull the lever for Newt over Palin & Bachmann at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Randy I agree. Last time with McCain as a choice, I under-voted. I put MY name on the ballot.

    No doubt Newt can hold his own in a debate. I like him but, it is the rest of the voting populace that concerns me.

    ReplyDelete